Bumped into this quote recently:
“Amateurs built the ark, experts built the titanic.”
Look around you. Some of the most amazing things we have came from people that weren’t “qualified”. Qualification, intelligence, ingenuity, heck even education doesn’t compare to action and the experience that ensues. It is time for you to do. To solidify this point here are people who were not “qualified” by other’s standards when they decided to take action:
- Steven Spielberg was rejected twice from the University of Southern California’s School of Cinematic Arts. Regardless he built an empire that has made over 9 Billion dollars.
- Walt Disney was told by his editor that he lacked imagination and had no good ideas.
- J.K Rowling was a broke, depressed, divorced single mother simultaneously writing a novel while studying.
- Dr. Seuss had his first book rejected by 27 different publishers. Wasn’t qualified to be an author.
- Elvis Presley was fired after his first performance at the Grand Ole Opry, The guy actually told him “You ain’t going nowhere son. You ought to go back to driving a truck.”
…and the list goes on and on (Zuck and Facebook, Bill Gates, etc.).
My point: Go for it if you feel it is your destiny. Forget about the stigma of “qualification” – that is just keeping you down or giving you an excuse to not start at all.
Remember, many times we find ourselves more in the journey than the destination. Life is too short not to try. So, do it.